The Institute of Biology Systems and Genetic Research is an academic institution that combines high quality education and scientific research. The institute provides opportunities for studies, academic development and research work within a broad range of subjects in both fundamental and applied sciences. Our researchers and staff work in a variety of different fields and academic disciplines, and the subjects taught in the University are carefully adapted to match the needs of all the faculties as well as to be compatible with thoroughly developed course programs and their requirements. The university provides its students with a high-standard teaching of theory and practice of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, public health, veterinary medicine, medical and veterinary genetics, medical and veterinary biochemistry, animal husbandry technology and animal science.
During the expansion of fundamental medical study programs, the Department of Biology was founded at the Faculty of medicine in 1950. Until 1964 it was headed by Prof. Tadas Ivanauskas (1882 – 1970), who received his education in world-famous academic institutions in Sorbonne and St. Petersburg, and whose name is well-known both in Lithuania and abroad for great breakthroughs and achievements in biological science. Some of the most important professor’s monographs - the Birds of Lithuania and Birds of the World - were published during the period when Ivanauskas was working for the Department of Biology. Professor delivered lectures in zoology and evolution science, while simultaneously emphasizing the importance of the science of genetics. In 1964 – 1969 the Department was headed by Assoc. Prof. M. Venclauskas, who incorporated the New Biophysical methods into the activities of the Institute of Medicine, was one of the founders of the Central Science Research Laboratory (later known as the Institute of Biomedical Research), and also was the head of the Biophysics Division. In 1969 – 1983 the Department was headed by Assoc. Prof. J. Lapinskaitė. She continued the work begun by Prof. T. Ivanauskas, and completed the formation of study courses of Fundamental Biology. In 1983 – 2009 the Department was under supervision of Prof. A. Bertulis. During that time, in 2008, on the basis of the Department of Biology the Institute of Biology was formed. In 1967 the Visual Neurophysiology research group was established at the Department. The Visual Neurophysiology research group was lead by Prof. A Bertulis, who completed an internship and worked at the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences and the University of Copenhagen. The laboratory of Visual Neurophysiology, headed by Prof. A. Bulatov, was founded at the Institute of Biology, which in 2009 – 2011 was headed by Prof. A. Bulatov. Due to the higher education reform in 2011 the Institute of Biology, the Breeding and Genetics Department of the Lithuanian Veterinary Academy and Dr. K. Janušauskas’ Animal Genetics Laboratory were joined together to form the Biology Systems and Genetic Research Institute. During the period of 2011-2016 the Institute was headed by Prof. Ilona Teodora Miceikienė, who also was the head of the Animal Breeding and Genetics Department of Lithuanian Veterinary Academy in 2001-2011. Since October 2016 the Institute is headed by Assoc. Prof. Rasa Ugenskienė.