Department of Drug Technology and Social Pharmacy
The staff of the Department consists of 32 employees (23 researchers), including 5 professors (1 habil. dr.), 11 associate professors, 2 lecturers (dr.) and 5 assistant teachers. In addition to that, there are 3 doctoral students in the Department. Students pursue their studies in the following programmes: an integrated study program Pharmacy (for Lithuanian and foreign students) and an integrated study programme Pharmacy for pharmacy technicians. Upon graduation from LSMU MA Faculty of Pharmacy, students acquire the master’s degree in pharmacy (a pharmacist’s professional qualification). The Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Social Pharmacy also provides refresher courses for pharmacy specialists.
In 1922, the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lithuania had a Division of Pharmacy, which included the Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacognosy headed by prof. P. Raudonikis. In 1944, 3 profile departments were established: 1) the Department of Pharmacy (later on renamed the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry); 2) the Department of Botany and Pharmacognosy (1944); and 3) the Department of Technology of Drug Forms and Galenical Preparations (1948). Prof. P. Raudonikis was assigned the head of the latter Department. He also taught the subject “Organisation of Pharmaceutical Work”. After prof. P. Raudonikis died in 1950, the Department was headed by the Candidate of Sciences in Pharmacy E. Kanopka. At that time, the staff of the Department – besides its head – consisted of only 2 assistant teachers. When in 1953 prof. K. Grybauskas died, the Department of Botany and Pharmacognosy and the Department of Technology of Drug Forms and Galenical Preparations were combined into one Department of Pharmacognosy and Technology of Drug Forms and Galenical Preparations. The number of the staff was not stable due to significant variations in the number of students of pharmacy (from 25 to 75). When the curricula changed, by the decision of the LSSR Board of the Ministry of Higher and Specialised Secondary Education, the Department was renamed the Department of Pharmacognosy and Drug Technology. At that time, the staff of the Department consisted of 2 associate professors, 3 senior teachers and 3 assistant teachers. In total, 4 subjects were taught: botany, pharmacognosy, drug technology and organisation of pharmaceutical work and economics. In 1972, assoc. prof. D. Bernatonis was elected the head of the Department. In the same year, the administration of the chemical-pharmaceutical factory “Sanitas” (director H. Dūdėnas) equipped a training laboratory for the Department in the factory premises. This laboratory provided all the necessary conditions for laboratory assignments in industrial drug technology. From 1973 on, the subject of the organisation of pharmaceutical work and economics was taught in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. In 1977, assoc. prof. E. Kaikarienė was elected the head of this Department. In 1979, the profile departments of pharmacy were reorganised into: 1) the Department of Drug Technology, Organisation of Pharmaceutical Work and Economics and 2) the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy. Assoc. prof. E. Kaikarienė headed the Department until 1987. In 1987, assoc. prof. D. Bernatonis was the head of the Department. During 1987-1992, the Department was headed by prof. A. Gendrolis, and since 1992 by assoc. prof. A. Savickas. In 1990, the Department lost its training laboratory in “Sanitas”. In September 1992, the staff of the Department was complemented by some employees of the Department of Professional Development of Certified Pharmacists, also taking over its workload – refresher courses for pharmacy specialists. Until 1 September 1984, certified pharmacists had undergone qualification improvement in the Faculty of Pharmacy of Kaunas Medical Institute. Qualification improvement courses for certified pharmacists were headed by R. Paulauskas, A. Motiejūnas, V. Kasperavičius and V. Jasinskas. On 1 January 1985, refresher courses for physicians and certified pharmacists were introduced. Here, 2 departments were established: the Department of Electrical Stimulation and the Department for the Development of Certified Pharmacists. The latter Department had 8 teachers and 6 laboratory assistants. The employees from the Department of Drug Technology, Organisation of Pharmaceutical Work and Economics, the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy and the Department of Pharmacology were also transferred to this Department. R. Pečiūra was assigned the head of this Department. The Department for the Development of Certified Pharmacists organised subject-based qualification improvement cycles for certified pharmacists – organisers, technologists and analysts. From 1989 on, the Department organised refresher courses for pharmacy technicians. In 1992, the Department for the Development of Certified Pharmacists was closed down due to financial shortages, and qualification improvement of pharmacy specialists was taken over by the Department of Drug Technology, Organisation of Pharmaceutical Work and Economics. At that time, the refresher courses for pharmacy specialists were headed by assoc. prof. L. K. Švambaris. In 1993, the Department was renamed the Department of Drug Technology and Organisation of Pharmacy. Between 1950 and 1996, the following teachers of the Department successfully defended their dissertations of Candidate of Sciences (since 1990, doctoral theses): E. Kaikarienė (1954), D. Baranauskaitė (1965), G. Pužienė (1967), D. Bernatonis (1968), V. Janulis (1978), A. Savickas (1983), H. Petkevičius (1984), R. Railaitė (1985), R. Radžiūnas (1988), V. Briedis (1990), Ž. Martinėnas (1992) and A. Baranauskas (1996). In 1987, prof. A. Gendrolis defended his doctoral (currently, habilitated doctor’s) dissertation, and, in 1995, assoc. prof. A. Savickas successfully defended his habilitation thesis, too.
In 1964, on the initiative of assoc. prof. A. Kaikaris, the Department started collecting valuable items from State pharmaceutical enterprises, pharmacies and pharmacists. These items formed the basis of the Museum of Pharmacy established in 1975. Since 1979, the museum belongs to the Department and is used for the training of students.
On 9 March 2005, by the Rector’s decree No. V-70 and on the basis of the decision of the Senate dated 11 February 2005, the Department was renamed from the Department of Drug Technology and Organisation of Pharmaceutical Work to the Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Social Pharmacy.
The research topic of the Department:
A study on the development of drug technology and adaptation of pharmaceutical activity to modern qualitative changes.
Coordinator of the research topic: Prof. habil. dr. Arūnas Savickas, Tel. +370 32-83-04, E-mail: email@example.com
Sub-topics of scientific research:
1. Studies of biological activity of natural and synthetic pharmaceutical preparations and additives in order to identify their possible biological target and to clarify their mechanisms of activity;
2. Production and evaluation of semi-solid drug forms;
3. Identification of antioxidants and evaluation of their activity;
4. A study on the integration of the elements of pharmaceutical care into pharmacy quality management systems;
5. Research on the history of Lithuanian and the world’s pharmacy;
6. A study on medicinal substances and treatment techniques used in Lithuanian folk medicine;
7. A study on the possibilities for increasing effectiveness of the activity of pharmacies on the basis of the analysis of new drug technologies, pharmacological services, pharmacoeconomics and pharmacoepidemiology.
Students start studying in the Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Social Pharmacy from their second year of studies (pharmacy technicians from the first year).
The following subjects are taught in the Department:
Compulsory subjects: Technology of Pharmacy Drugs; Industrial Pharmaceutical Technology; Social Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Care for foreign students).
Elective courses of general pharmaceutical technologies:
1. General Pharmaceutical Technology;
2. Engineering in Pharmaceutical Technology;
3. Technological Processes in Pharmaceutics.
Elective subjects of development of pharmacy and economics:
1. History of Pharmacy, Professional Ethics and Economics;
2. History of Pharmacy, Microeconomics and Management;
3. Development of Pharmacy, Merchandise of Medicine and Organisation of Pharmaceutical Economic Work in Community Pharmacies.
Elective courses of pharmaceutical care:
1. Management of Medication Therapy Processes in Pharmaceutical Care;
2. Basics of Clinical Consulting in Pharmaceutical Service.
1. Organisation of Pharmaceutical Activities in a Pharmacy;
3. Implementation of Good Pharmacy Practice Standards into Pharmaceutical Activity;
4. Standardisation of Pharmaceutical Practice.
5th-year students undergo their compulsory training in Practice of Pharmaceutical Technology and Social Pharmacy practice (Pharmaceutical Care for foreign students) in Lithuanian pharmacies.
4th and 5th years are for the final master’s thesis.
International relations and cooperation
Specialists of the Department receive positive feedback from Austria, India, Portugal, the USA, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Ukraine and other countries.
The employees of the Department have published their papers in such scientific journals as “Farmacijos verslas” (Pharmacy Business), “Farmacija ir laikas” (Pharmacy and Time), “Gydymo menas” (The Art of Treatment), “Farmacijos žinios” (Pharmacy News), “Medicina” (Medicine), “Biomedicina” (Biomedicine), “Biologija” (Biology), etc.
A number of patents serve as a proof of the novelty of the Department’s scientific research activity.
Relations and cooperation
The researchers of the Department cooperate with Lithuanian scientific and higher educational institutions including LSMU Institute for Biomedical Research Laboratory of Biochemistry, Departments of Physiology, Microbiology and Biochemistry, LSMU pharmacy, KTU Department of Food Technology, KTU Food Institute, companies “Biok”, “Sanitas”, “Valentis” and “Aconitum”, Institute of Phytotherapy (Moscow, Russia), Ukrainian National University of Pharmacy Department of Pharmacotherapy, Zaporozhye State Medical University Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences Department of Pharmaceutical Technology (Czech Republic) and Medical University of Gdansk (Poland) Department of Pharmaceutical Technology.
The researchers of the Department have participated in international symposia: “Functional Foods for Chronic Diseases” in the USA in 2005-2008; the meeting of phytotherapists in Moscow and a scientific conference on pharmacy in Estonia in 2006; a symposium in Greece, the 19th International Symposium on Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis in Poland, the 12th International Congress Phytopharmin St. Petersburg in 2008; the conference “Medicinal Plants” in India in 2009; and the conference “Aromatic Plants” in Antalya (Turkey) and the 11th International Chemistry Conference in Luxor (Egypt) in 2010.
The researchers of the Department (prof. A. Savickas, prof. J. Bernatonienė, assoc. prof. G. Drakšienė, assoc. prof. Z. Kalvėnienė, prof. N. Savickienė and prof. D. Majienė) participate in various projects, such as the international project “Eureka: Development of a Multifunctional Cream from Natural Products” (2007-2009), Lithuanian State Studies Foundation research project “Development of Technologies for Capsules from Dry Extracts and Microelements and Selection of Analysis Techniques” (2007-2008), a project financed by KMU (currently LSMU) Science Foundation “Selection of Optimal Ginkgo, Hawthorn and Motherwort Combinations and Development of Capsules following Evaluation of the Effect of These Plants on Cardiovascular Function” (2008–2010), the project “Prevention of Nephrotoxicity and Treatment with Pharmacological and Cellular Preparations” (2009 -2013), “Evaluation and Functionalisation of Biological Activity of Lectins” (2010-2011) and the project entitled “Research and Elaboration of Directions for Use of New Plant Polypeptides of the Lectin Family as Potential Immunomodulators and Cytostatic Agents” (2013-2014).