Department of Laboratory Medicine
The Department of Laboratory Medicine was established in 2009. It originated from the Laboratory service, which had been founded in 1940 at Kaunas University Hospital. The activities of the Department of Laboratory Medicine are focused on integration of clinical diagnostics, education and research according international standards.
- to ensure needs and expectations of patients and clinicians in laboratory diagnostics, providing comprehensive list of laboratory tests, high quality results with accompanying competent consultative support – for diagnosis, early detection of diseases, monitoring of their course or treatment effectiveness, prevention of diseases;
- to transfer the knowledge and innovation of laboratory medicine to students, residents, master degree Ph.D. students and advanced specialists from other fields.
- to provide high quality service of laboratory medicine;
- to ensure implementation, operation and continuous improvement of quality management system according international quality standards;
- to participate in external quality assessment programs;
- to ensure competent, confidential and timely diagnostic service – to offer a comprehensive list of laboratory tests with accompanying consultative support;
- to communicate to health care practitioners for proper resolving of laboratory medicine problems and questions;
- to ensure high quality service in education of medical students, residents, master degree, Ph.D. students and advanced training of medical specialists;
- to ensure research activity and contribution in interdisciplinaryresearch.
Clinical activities are organized according to the international standard “Medical laboratories – particular requirements for quality and competence” (EN ISO 15189:2012).
Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry and Genetics
Supervisor: laboratory medicine physician Rasa Steponavičiūtė.
E-mail: email@example.com; Phone: (+370 37) 326365.
Laboratory of Hematology and General Cytology
Supervisor: laboratory medicine physician, M.D., Ph.D. Erika Skrodenienė.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: (+370 37) 326365.
Laboratory of Microbiology
Supervisor: laboratory medicine physician, Prof., M.D., Ph.D. Astra Vitkauskienė.
E-mail: email@example.com; Phone: (+370 37) 326775.
The staff of Department of Laboratory Medicine actively acts in educational and research fields. Laboratory medicine physicians, medical biologists and technicians give lectures, organize seminars, practical courses – transfer their knowledge in laboratory medicine to medical students, residents, master degree students in medicine and participants of advanced training courses.
- Medicine (participation in 4th–6th study years modules)
- Laboratory Medicine Biology
- Laboratory Medicine
- Allergology and Clinical Immunology (module of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics)
- Infectious Diseases (module of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics)
- Hematology (module of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics)
- Rheumatology (module of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics)
- Medical and Veterinary Genetics (2nd study year modules of Hematology and hemostasis, Clinical Chemistry)
- Medical and Veterinary Biochemistry (3rd study year modules Hematology and hemostasis, Clinical Chemistry)
Fields of interest – bacterial pathogenicity factors and their influence on the diseases course, etiopathogenesis of hematooncologic diseases and disorders of hemostasis.