Lithuanian University was founded in 1922. It consisted of 5 faculties: theology, social sciences, medicine, nature and mathematics, technics. Libraries were established at university or faculties.
Library of Lithuanian University was founded in 1923. The fund of Medicine Faculty Library of Lithuanian University was formed. Professors P. Avižonis, P. Raudonikis, P. Mažylis, B. Šaulys, docents J. Nemeikša, A. Matulevičius, doctor A. Domaševičius and the relatives of prof. Lašas and prof. Mažylis gave books from personal libraries to Medicine Faculty Library fund.
1930-1949 Lithuanian University is named Vytautas Magnus University – the library becomes Vytautas Magnus University Library. In 1940 Vytautas Magnus University was named Kaunas Public University – the library becomes Kaunas Public University Library.
1950 – Kaunas Medicine Institute Library. Kaunas Public University is reorganized into two separate higher schools: Kaunas Politechnical Institute (KPI) and Kaunas Medicine Institute (KMI). KMI takes over 17 000 exemplars of former Medicine Faculty library fund. Then there was 60 places reading room in library, there was appointed a room for personnel.
There was founded separate reading room for research workers in 1956, bibliographical card catalogues were created, bibliographical-information literature fund was organized, bibliographical information was started to be spread to departments.
• Card catalogue of KMI employees publications was created. Starting from 1957 all publications of KMI employees are registered, their record is done, reports are prepared.
• Subject catalogue is fully amended on a basis of universal decimal classification, subject index is made.
• Service catalogue was started to create.
1958 – Interlibrary loan was created.
1960 – Library delivery room was founded.
1960 – The course of bibliography basics was started to be lectured for students.
1964 – Three departments were established in the library – Information-Bibliographical, Services to Readers and Literature Acquisition and Cataloguing Department.
1966 – Alphabet-subject card index was started to be kept. It consisted of printed cards which constantly were supplemented with the new cards with descriptions of journals‘ articles, medicine conferences material, received from Moscow Public Central Medicine Library, Charkov and Kiev Medicine Libraries.
1970 – The reading room was founded in Educational Laboratory Corps (MLK, Eivenių str. 4, Kaunas)
• Department of Bibliography is reorganized to Department of Information and Bibliography.
• Selective information distribution to KMI departments was started
There was created automated subsystem of publications record.
1989 – Kaunas Medical Academy Library
1991 – When receiving of printed bibliographic descriptions cards was stopped, alphabet-subject card index of medicine publications was removed.
• There was created library computer network.
• Integral information library system ALISE, created by Latvian University programmers, started to work.
• Medicine information data bases started to be complemented in compact discs.
• The library becomes official WHO documentation centre.
1995 – Library computer network was connected to internet.
1998 – Kaunas Medicine University Library
• Computer class of 10 working places was founded in Scientific Information Department (MLK, Eivenių str.4, Kaunas).
2001 –there was acquired new libraries information system ALEPH-500 (Israel, Exlibris) together with Lithuanian universities libraries.
2002 – Scientific publications data bases of KMU employees were moved to library information system “Aleph“ and LieMSIS PDB.
• Computer class of 6 working places was equiped in the library ( A. Mickevičiaus str.9).
• The reading room of nursery sciences literature was opened in the Services Centre of Kaunas Medicine University Clinics.
• The project of new library building was approved. The architect G. Janulytė-Bernotienė.
2004-2006 Construction of the new library.
2005 – Electronic documents of KMU employees doctoral dissertations, their summaries, master theses were started to load to the information system of Lithuanian electronic theses and dissertations (Lithuanian ETD IS).
2006 – Meilė Kretavičienė, Director of KMU Library has won premium of Ministry of Culture for her librarianship, bibliography scientific research and practical activity in libraries. Her candidacy was presented for nomination by Association of Scientific Libraries of Lithuania.
2007 – KMU Library and Health Sciences Information Centre
• KMU library was moved to the new premises; official opening of the library on March 6th, 2007. There were located 344 working places for readers, 39 working places for librarians, computer class of 56 working places in the premises of library. Group training classes, multimedia class, users‘ training class, conference and seminars halls were founded, the lift for visitors and the lift for shifting books to the other floors were installed. Modern RFDI technologies system was installed for the first time in the history of Lithuanian libraries, which warrants control of books safety, effectiveness of self-service of books delivery and return. Wireless computer network was installed.
• The title of the best librarian of the year 2006 was given to Director of the library Meilė Kretavičienė by decision of experts commission formed by LR Ministry of Culture
2010 – Library and Information Centre of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences. Kaunas Medicine University and Lithuanian Veterinary Academy were connected to Lithuanian University of Health Sciences by decision of LR Seimas. From September 1st KMU and LVA libraries were connected and named LSMU Library and Information Centre.
2011 – Virtual Personal Network (VPN) program was installed, giving possibility to library readers to connect to subscribed data bases not from LSMU computer network.