Lithuanian University was founded in 1922. It consisted of 5 faculties: theology, social sciences, medicine, nature and mathematics, technics. Libraries were established at the university or faculties.
Library of Lithuanian University was founded in 1923. The fund of Medicine Faculty Library of Lithuanian University was formed. Professors P. Avižonis, P. Raudonikis, P. Mažylis, B. Šaulys, docents J. Nemeikša, A. Matulevičius, doctor A. Domaševičius and the relatives of prof. Lašas and prof. Mažylis gave books from personal libraries to Medicine Faculty Library fund.
1930-1949 Lithuanian University is named Vytautas Magnus University – the library became Vytautas Magnus University Library. In 1940 Vytautas Magnus University was named Kaunas Public University – the library became Kaunas Public University Library.
1950 – Kaunas Medicine Institute Library.
Kaunas Public University was reorganized into two separate higher schools: Kaunas Politechnical Institute (KPI) and Kaunas Medicine Institute (KMI). KMI took over 17 000 exemplars of former Medicine Faculty library fund. At the time the library had a 60 places reading room and a room for personnel.
In 1956 a separate reading room for research workers was founded, bibliographical card catalogues were created, bibliographical-information literature fund was organized, bibliographical information was spread to departments.
• Card catalogue of KMI employees publications was created. From 1957 all publications of KMI employees have been registered, their record done and reports prepared.
• Subject catalogue was fully amended on a basis of universal decimal classification, subject index is made.
• Service catalogue was created.
1958 – Interlibrary loan was established.
1960 – Library delivery room was founded.
1960 – The course of bibliography basics was given as a lecture for students.
1964 – Three departments were established in the library – Information-Bibliographical Department, Customer Service Department and Literature Acquisition and Cataloguing Department.
1966 – Alphabet-subject card index of medical publications was began to be recorded. It consisted of printed cards which constantly were supplemented with new ones with descriptions of journals‘ articles, material from medicine conferences which were received from Moscow Public Central Medicine Library, Charkov and Kiev Medicine Libraries.
1970 – A reading room was founded in Educational Laboratory Corps (MLK, Eivenių str. 4, Kaunas)
• Department of Bibliography was reorganized into Department of Information and Bibliography.
• Selective information distribution to KMI departments.
An automated subsystem of publications record was created.
1989 – Kaunas Medical Academy Library
1991 – When receiving of printed bibliographic description cards was discontinued, alphabet-subject card index of medicine publications was cancelled.
• Library computer network was created.
• An integral information library system ALISE, created by Latvian University programmers, started to work.
• Medicine information databases started to be complemented in compact discs.
• The library became an official WHO documentation centre..
1995 – Library computer network was connected to internet.
1998 – Kaunas Medicine University Library
• Computer class of 10 working places was founded in Scientific Information Department (MLK, Eivenių str.4, Kaunas).
2001 – Together with Lithuanian universities‘ libraries, the new library information system ALEPH-500 (Israel, Exlibris) was acquired.
2002 – Scientific publications databases of KMU employees were transferred to library information system “Aleph“ and LieMSIS PDB.
• In the library a computer class of 6 working places was equiped ( A. Mickevičiaus str.9).
• The reading room of nursery sciences literature was opened in the Services Centre of Kaunas Medicine University Clinics.
• The project of new library building was approved. The architect G. Janulytė-Bernotienė.
2004-2006 Construction of the new library.
2005 – Electronic documents of KMU employees doctoral dissertations, their summaries, master theses have been uploaded to the information system of Lithuanian electronic theses and dissertations (Lithuanian ETD IS).
2006 – Meilė Kretavičienė, Director of KMU Library, won premium of Ministry of Culture for her librarianship, bibliography, scientific research and practical activity in libraries. Her candidacy was presented for nomination by Association of Scientific Libraries of Lithuania.
2007 – KMU Library and Health Sciences Information Centre
• KMU library was moved to the new premises; the official opening of the library on March 6th, 2007. In the premises of the library there are 344 working places for readers, 39 working places for librarians and a computer class of 56 working places. Also there are group training classes, multimedia class, users‘ training class, conference and seminars halls, the lift for visitors and the lift for shifting books to the other floors. For the first time in the history of Lithuanian libraries, Modern RFDI technologies system was installed, which warrants control of books safety, effectiveness of self-service books delivery and return. Wireless computer network was installed.
• The title of the best librarian of 2006 was given to the Director of the library Meilė Kretavičienė by decision of experts commission formed by LR Ministry of Culture.
2010 – Library and Information Centre of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences. On March 18, 2010 by decision of LR Seimas, Kaunas Medicine University and Lithuanian Veterinary Academy were connected to Lithuanian University of Health Sciences. Since September 1st KMU and LVA libraries were connected and named LSMU Library and Information Centre.
2011 – Virtual Personal Network (VPN) program was installed enabling library readers to connect to subscribed databases not from LSMU computer network.